Thursday, February 9, 2012

More chickens for sale!

Just a quick announcement, we now have around 50 nice, plump older roosters for sale, at the same price as the smaller, more tender chickens.
These roosters are a bit under 5 months old, and weigh about 4 lbs each, some a bit more than that.  They are tougher than the regular birds, especially in the thigh, but the breast is much bigger, and has so much more flavor!
The legs are tender enough to eat, but I just took the whole leg and thigh and simmer it for about 6 hours in a large pot of water.  Then, the meat will be quite tender, and the water will have absorbed an incredible amount of flavor.  The minerals in the bone and marrow will now be in the water, and if you let it cool, it will actually set as hard as jello!
These minerals are very nutritious, supporting your immune system and giving you lots of calcium, magnesium, and trace minerals.  There is a reason that chicken soup is the universal food for colds and flu!

You will not find a better chicken for soup or stew anywhere, with this much flavor.  These chickens have been foraging since their first day, even during the winter, and they have never seen any antibiotics or hormones in their life.  Order now, because if you don't buy them, I just might end up eating them myself : )

PROJECTS

This week I expect to be very busy with some things.  I need to plan the location for my huglkultur bed (google search, or visit www.permies.com) and then try and dig down a bit through the soil so the logs will be partially buried.  I am going to cram old hay, and a bit of chicken manure into the spaces between logs, which will hopefully start them breaking down faster with the extra nitrogen.  I would like to have about a 4 x 16 foot area planted with huglkultur.  Then, I will need to hay mulch all of the saskatoons, blueberries, cherry trees, and asperagus plants I put in the last few years.  I will put about 6 inches around the plants, which will compact a bit.  This will hopefully keep the soil moisture high, and provide some nutrients as it breaks down for the trees.  I may also toss a bit of chicken manure too, I have probably 300 lbs of it in the shed.

GOATS

We have goats!  I purchased two female miniature nubian goats, and they have been roaming free range around the property for the last week or so.  They are very small, but I will breed both of them in March, and perhaps I will be able to sell the kids when they are grown.  I will also be able to milk them, although I won't get a lot of milk unless I milk daily.  I would be content with a cup a day or so, since I would be the only one to drink it.  The goats are easy to keep, and don't eat much.  A bit of barley keeps them happy, and they have been grazing on the exposed grass as well.  Now that the majority of the chickens are gone, I can cut my feed costs down to about $3/day for all the animals.  I could save more by purchasing barley or wheat in bulk directly from a farmer, except that I need to store it somewhere safe and dry.  I still have plans to build a barn, and as soon as the soil is warm enough, I will start mapping a location.

No comments: