Friday, June 27, 2014

Multiple income streams

It's officially summer, and it's officially the busiest summer I have ever had, and I mean that in it's most literal sense!
I now have 4 jobs, if you count raising broiler chickens as a job (and you should).
One full time job, a part time job at a homeless shelter, a sideline gig washing windows, and of course, the chickens.
The old days of working one job, one job per family, are gone, probably forever.  In order to make ends meet, a family needs multiple income streams, and I wanted to talk about that a bit.

FARM INCOME
We have lived on farmland for nearly 6 years, and we have yet to fully realize the income potential of our property.  There are thousands of dollars that could be made off this land, and we're only getting started.  My optimistic goal for this year is 500-700 broiler chickens, and the start of a permanent homestead flock that will produce fresh eggs, which we eat a lot of.
I've calculated a rough profit of $10 per bird, which is pretty good, but we can only raise a max of 2000 birds, and that would be a LOT.  That would also be $20k per year too, and that isn't too bad.  I really feel like I could maximize earnings on those chickens by doing a few things differently.
Right now, we are using commercial feed, which is expensive, although it is pretty complete.  It's about $0.25 per lb, and it takes about 2.5 lbs to make one lb of actual chicken.  I can buy some of the grains in bulk, really cheaply, but I've been trying hard to solve the protein problem.  Normal grains, like wheat, barley, oats are not high enough in protein, and there doesn't seem to be anything that would be high enough, except for soybeans, and you can't even buy those in my area!

What is the solution?  Bugs.  More specifically, fly larvae.  Way more specifically, Black soldier fly larvae.  I intend to build some special collectors, which I will load up with manure and organic waste of all types.  I might need to "import" some of the eggs of this particular fly, but once a population has been established, it should sustain itself well enough.  The larvae are high in protein, fat, and are clean and disease free.  Once they hatch, and eat, they will actually crawl up a ramp, and then drop down, to be gobbled up by hungry chickens.  I can easily obtain nearly unlimited amounts of manure, which can be composted by flies.  Once it is composted, it can be shoveled into the garden!

Not only does this save me money, although it does cost a lot of labour, it is also waaaaay more sustainable, and the fly larvae are the natural food of the chicken, among other things.  Combined with some chopped and possibly fermented grains, I just might create a race of superchickens, if I can get this idea going on a large scale.  It would take about 4-5 large harvesters to really create enough larvae to provide adequate protein, and they would need to be managed nearly every other day, the old compost being collected, and fresh "stuff" added.  Having this in a central location would be a huge time saver, where I could bring in truckloads of manure, or have them delivered, and fill the collectors when they need it.

In the real world, my 120 chickens are delightedly scarfing down beak-fulls of weeds, such as thistle (yes, for real), dock, and dandelion.  For some reason, when my septic field was installed, the drainfield started growing monster patches of thistle, which I have avoided for obvious reasons.  Now, I finally have a use for it, which should also keep it under control (chicken feet can tear through weeds like butter.)  They also seem to be eating less feed, and I am seeing all of them foraging voraciously.  I did also lose just one to a heart attack, but there have been no more casualties.

WINDOW CLEANING

I said I was going to talk about multiple income streams, and I bloody intend to!  One of my four jobs is window cleaning, which I got into by complete accident last year.  I was hunting for a part time job, and an old friend of mine asked if I wanted to make $20/hr cleaning windows.  I was quite interested, and he quit after 5 days...but I ended up learning to clean windows, and gaining a small starter collection of tools, which I have greatly expanded.  I charge between $100, up to about $140 for a cleaning job, and my costs are gas, and...not much else.  I bought a very nice expandable ladder, which goes from 6 feet to 24, and fits on a car mounted roof rack.  I put an additional smaller (and lighter) ladder on there, as well as a couple of poles.  I have dozens of cloths, and several squeegees.  I can clean one house in as little as an hour, although I average 2.5 to 3 hours.  It is strenuous work, and I am always tired at the end of a day.
The important thing is, I have far more work than I can handle, and my only advertisements are free ones on Kijiji.  I have no business cards yet, and I don't feel like I need them yet either.
Of all my income streams, other than my full time job, this one is the most profitable.  It is also very seasonal, although I have done cleanings in the winter using washer fluid, and it works just fine.  One of my best days earned me about $400, although it was a very long day...

Someday, I can envision this being one part of multiple income streams that will replace my full-time job, maybe, and give me that sweet, sweet, self-employed freedom!

Someday.

No comments: