Monday, August 22, 2011

Website coming soon!

So, I reported last week that I finally obtained www.sunset-meadows.com as the primary site for our farm.  I did a little work on it last night, made some email address and mucked around with some settings.  I will be creating a welcome page with MS Frontpage, probably tonite, and I will upload it so that there will actually be a placeholder.  I will be adding "Contact" "About" and hopefully soon "Podcast" links on the front page.  You can expect the look of the site to change over time, especially after I hire out some graphic design and PHP programming.  Once upon a time, I knew a little bit of HTML programming, but it would be like hiring a baby to paint your living room.  He's not very good, and he can only reach about three feet up!  Nonetheless, there will be a site by weeks end.  With pictures.

CAMPING!

I've been camping twice this summer, and both times were excellent.  The first time was waaaaay out in the middle of nowhere, a beautiful location in the cold, cold foothills of Alberta.  Yesterday, we got back from another great location, but this time it was HOT!  Despite having to replace the alternator in my wife's SUV (in the parking lot of Canadian Tire), we made it just a few hours later than planned, and enjoyed one of the hottest weekends this summer.  We got back yesterday, sweating in the vehicle which unfortunately has no functioning AC (booooo).  It was busy in town, mostly out of towners going home from camping.  

GARDEN

I'm pretty much calling it quits on the bigger garden, there are some things that will be harvestable, mainly carrots, but I made a fatal error when I failed to add enough manure and mulch.  The soil fertility is too low to produce much, but if I add mulch and manure right now, it will be ready for next year, or the year after if the house building project overtakes my time, which I suspect it will.  I has selected a place for my new-and-improved greenhouse, which will be constructed from the timbers of the old one.  This one will have double wall of plastic, and a plywood back wall, and will be attached to posts that will be buried in cement.  I may be a slow learner, but I eventually get there.

LIVESTOCK

The chickens managed nicely without me here for 24 hours, and they are getting bigger.  I can now tell which are hens, and which are roosters.  It's about 50/50, which means I'll have plenty of hens to pick from when I select some layers too keep over the winter!  There might be 1 rooster, only to try and build a small flock of babies in the springtime.  I've also decided to really expand the flock next year.  I'll need a better feeding and watering system, but that's not too challenging.  I will be building a pole barn soon, and other than a few calf stalls, the main bulk will be devoted to raising chickens and turkeys.  I plan to have a full 2000 birds next year, and I'm going to try and mix my own feed.  That way, I will be able to assure that there are no GMO's or other unwanted things, and hopefully save some money.  Feed is cheap, but I'll need about 18,000 pounds of it, so even a few cents per pound savings will magnify to thousands of dollars.  I will be adding some calves next year, maybe six or seven, and I will be running the birds on the same pasture as the cattle.  I have also toyed with the idea of adding goats, since they will enjoy eating the thistle and foxtail which have regrettably become entrenched in the pasture in some locations.  Instead of portable fencing, I will be using mainly permanent fencing, at least for now.  It will be over 6 feet high, with the bottom being strung with chicken wire, or plastic netting to keep the birds inside when they're smaller.  If I can keep a steady supply of water, and feed available, the birds will pretty much manage themselves!  They will have a vast area to forage in, and I will be able to concentrate on getting a house built.  If I need to separate any animals, putting temporary fencing inside the main fenceline is quite simple.  This is actually what I had planned from the beginning, pretty much.


Whilst camping in the foothills, it hailed.  We had just set up our tents and trailers in a new location.  The kids loved the hail, while the adults weren't quite so enthusiastic.


The chickens running out to pasture after sleeping in the shed overnight.  This is so entertaining, that I will have to make a video and upload to youtube.


Monkey boy on his monkey throne.  My son's first camping trip, and he enjoyed it!  He patiently sat in his seat, or would climb around on the blanket.  Both kids were well behaved and put up with the cool morning admirably, especially my daughter.  I'd like to take her hunting in a few years, when she's ready.  We'll be bringing a trailer, mainly for my comfort.

No comments: